Future proofing Australia’s roads
Each day, millions of Australians use roads, freeways and tunnels across the country. Much of this traffic is in key transport corridors which also support our nation’s economic prosperity - farming, production, regional tourism and a range of manufacturing and service activities.
The Gateway Upgrade Project is the largest bridge and road infrastructure project in Queensland’s history. The works aimed to improve congestion and travel times on one of the state’s busiest road corridors.
QLD'S largest bridge infrastructure project
The Head Contractor constructing the second Gateway Bridge and Motorway duplication required a trusted, proven Design and Construct partner to deliver the Intelligent Transport System (ITS) for this critical project: Visionstream was appointed as the project ITS provider to meet contract requirements in delivering the Gateway Upgrade works.
The operator of the motorway, QLD Motorways, required the upgrade to deliver real-time information to their Traffic Management Centre. This information would enable QLD Motorways to:
- Asses traffic conditions
- Manage congestion
- Alert motorists of travel times, road works and incidents on the motorway.
In design and constructing the required works, Visionstream undertook a thorough audit of the existing ITS systems, including working with other vendors upgrading other parts of the network.
Our solution overcame existing integration problems within the network as well as delivering the requirements of the ITS for the duplication of the Gateway Bridge and 20km of motorway from the Mt Gravatt-Capalaba Road intersection to the Nudgee Road intersection.
Key features included:
- Variable speed signs
- Estimated travel time signage
- Variable message signs
- Closed-circuit cameras
- On-ramp metering
- Weigh-in motion detectors
- Emergency telephones.
A safe pair of hands
With more than two decades of industry experience, Visionstream has designed and completed many of the country’s largest communications networks across a wide range of fixed and wireless technologies.
Our end-to-end project commitment to you is backed by industry leading project performance, robust project management, in-house technical capabilities and 24/7 real-time support. We also work seamlessly with our extensive sub-contractor network and a wide range of technology vendors and carriers to provide the best solution for you.
- Developing a solution that also solves existing integration issues.
- Working with existing vendors to ensure integration of upgraded ITS with existing networks.
- Visionstream has been engaged to provide a 10-year O&M services across the entire Gateway Motorway ITS and fibre network.
- Identified network component failures (aged equipment) and managed life-cycle network upgrade.
- Adjusted network design to alleviate integration problems following another vendor’s network upgrade across QLD Motorways’ existing system.
- Increased reliability of information for Qld Motorways and the travelling public.